Monday 5 May 2014

Vampire Academy - Richelle Mead

Ok, so I'm not too sure where to start with this one. I actually finished reading it weeks ago and meant to update with a review straight away but then life got in the way like it has a habit of doing, and now I've sat down to write it and honestly, I can't think of one defining thing about the book to talk about. 

It took me forever to get into to begin with, and I really didn't enjoy Mead's writing style. Although if you asked me to explain why, I would have a serious problem trying to put it into words. 

Admittedly as it went on it did get better, and towards the end of the book I did begin to get sucked into the narrative, I just didn't care about the characters which I think is so important for me with books. I like to get so totally sucked in by them that I'm reading until the early hours of the morning every morning because I really just need to know what happens right now. And that didn't happen with Vampire Academy. 

If I'm honest, I wouldn't bother reading the rest of the series if I hadn't bought them as a box set from Amazon. I'm hoping that as the series progresses, I get more into the narrative, and perhaps start to enjoy Mead's style of writing. 

I know that the 'long anticipated' film is coming out at some point this year, and no doubt I'll end up going to see that too as I always do like to check out book-film adaptations. Maybe I've been a little harsh in this review, here's hoping I'm surprised by the next installment.

2 comments:

  1. I felt exactly the same way about the first book. I started it, then I quit reading it. Then I picked it up again. It took me forever to get into it and I was really skeptical. Try the next book. By the second and third books I was a HUGE fan of this series and these characters.
    Thanks so much for stopping by! Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh thank you! I will definitely give the next one a go - I thought perhaps it would be a case of her growing as an author whilst the writing the series so I have absolutely everything crossed that I enjoy it and get hooked on VA before the film comes out! XO

      Delete